Licenses & What They Mean

Licensed Professional Counselor

LPC’s are master’s-degreed mental health
service providers, trained to work with individuals, families, and groups in
treating mental, behavioral, and
emotional problems and disorders.

Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist

A LMFT is a rigorously trained mental health care professional who believes that a wide range of individual problems must be understood within the context of their family and social environments.  LMFTs approach mental and emotional struggles, whether the client is an individual, a couple, or a family, from a relational perspective: the goal is to change problematic, repetitive interactions that contribute to or perpetuate the presenting problem.

Licensed Master in Social Work

A Licensed master in Social Work earns their title after completing a master’s program in social work. Most social workers who hold their LMSW license can practice social work services in most states. However, they have to be under the supervision of a qualified LCSW, or a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist.


An LPC Intern has completed a Master’s Degree in Counseling, and has passed the National Counseling Exam, and are working to complete 3,000 professional, supervised hours. An LPC Intern is someone who holds a provisional license. This means he/she has met all the educational and competency requirements to be an LPC in the state of Texas, but the state wants this person to accumulate more hours of counseling experience and training.

Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist Associate

LMFT-As are provisionally licensed. After successfully completing the academic requirements and passing the National MFT Examination, you may apply as an LMFTA in order to complete the required experience and supervision requirements (1500 clinical and 200 supervision hours) under approved supervision.

Child Centered Play Therapist

A Child Centered Play Therapist must be a licensed mental health professional at time of certification and hold a mental health professional license as a supervisor (or determined qualified as CCPT supervisor). Child Centered Play Therapy is a developmentally responsive, play-based mental health intervention for young children ages 3 to 10 who are experiencing social, emotional, behavioral and relational disorders.

Registered Play Therapist

RPT’s are mental health professionals who have completed extensive additional training and supervision in play therapy. An RPT-S is a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor, which involves additional experience and training to supervise play therapists.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker

An LCSW has earned a Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited graduate program. LCSW’s must have extensive supervised clinical experience and pass a licensure exam. Continuing education is required yearly to maintain licensure.